Recent Movie Comments

• Occupy Wall Street Protester Vents Anti-Semitism   2 years 24 weeks ago

Marbleman wrote:

So is this movement just self-righteous college antics, or does it have some permanent momentum behind it?

Some observations concerning the 'Occupy' protestors:

They claim to be the "99 percenters" but the facts tell a different story. Tax data show that the top 1% pay 37% of all federal income taxes. So to claim that they don't pay their 'fair share' is patently idiotic. Also, the top 50% of income earners pays nearly 98% of all federal taxes. The 'Occupy' crowd (with the exception of the trust fund hippies) should call themselves the 'lower 50%' -- the bottom half of Americans who are carried by the top half.

Though the Occupiers have been compared (in glowing terms) with the Tea Party there are stunning differences:

• No public defecation at Tea Party events.
    • No tents at Tea Party rallies -- they have jobs to get to the next day.
    • Tea Partiers are calling for an end to bailouts -- Occupiers are demanding that they be bailed out.
    • Heroin dealers and petty criminals have a much easier time insinuating themselves into Occupier rallies than Tea Party events. There's a funny Venn Diagram just waiting to be drawn up based on this.
    • No public sex evident at Tea Party rallies.
    • Tea Party people tend to wear a lot of red white and blue. Occupiers.... mostly just red. And Che.
    • Tea Party people represent the people who pay taxes, the Occupiers represent the people who receive payments from the government.

To be frank, the Occupiers represent the losers in society. The people who (despite living in what is probably the most free and open society on Earth) have largely decided to fail. These people only think they're at war with 'rich fat cats' -- in fact, they are at war with the normal distribution, aka 'the bell curve'. They're at the far left of the curve, and they hate this fact. But since fighting the bell curve would be like fighting some primal aspect (gravity, magnetism, Adam Sandler comedies) they've decided that if they kill off the far right end of the spectrum they might move up a standard deviation.

Occupiers represent filthy, disgusting losers -- it is only natural that the Democratic Party should be their champion.

• Occupy Wall Street Protester Vents Anti-Semitism   2 years 24 weeks ago

I Am the Whatever Percent

^One of the clearest statements I've heard so far.

• The Robber   2 years 24 weeks ago

Javen wrote:

It's nothing like The Town, trust me

The Town was interesting because there were more subplots, which I didn't really see in this film. It was more about the one robber and his addiction to robbery, as a sort of addiction to 'being somebody'. The Town is about someone trying to get out of that life, whereas in The Robber, the protagonist wants to maintain the 'life'. The romantic angle gets tedious in most movies, in my opinion. The whole world is in love with criminals, why not some of the women in these films? That would be a change of pace. Bring back Bonnie and Clyde.

• The Robber   2 years 24 weeks ago

It's nothing like The Town, trust me

• The Robber   2 years 24 weeks ago

The Town

• The Robber   2 years 24 weeks ago

There are a lot of movies that are alike. No he didn't leave her the money.

• Game of Thrones   2 years 24 weeks ago

Marbleman wrote:

I can't go into too much detail, but it has to do with offering a trickle of hope that would be cathartic and long overdue. . . then shutting it off, forever. Harrowing is the best word for book three.  If your girlfriend has gotten to book three, you will know by the sackcloth and ashes.

Book Three was harrowing -- started fourth book now, can't wait to finish. What a great series! I'm looking into Martin's 'Wild Cards' series of book next, to see if I like the rest of of his writing. In that series, some meteorite lands on earth and infects everyone with a virus that kills off most of humanity. Those who survive become horribly disfigured (called 'Jokers') while a very, very small few retain their humanity and inherit superhuman abilities (called 'Aces'). Sounds interesting.

• Game of Thrones   2 years 24 weeks ago
  • Obama Approval Hits New Low   2 years 25 weeks ago

Bucky Mclachlan wrote:

He's mostly continuing the same policies as Dubya.

Agreed. Except that Obama tends to kill more of the terrorists to avoid drawing attention to his Justice Department's policy of giving terrorists civilian trials. I think we could have capture Osama bin Laden just as easily as killing him, and pumped him for information. He was a washed up has-been terrorist at the point we caught up with him, but still, I think he would have been more useful alive, than dead. And we could have fed him porkchop sandwiches.

Quote:

Just to clarify I did not vote for him, no regrets there,

I did not vote for him either.

Quote:

I did however buy into the [OBAMA] hype for a short while I will admit....

It took courage to say that Bucky. Go you.

Quote:

and then I stopped caring completely. Still relatively apathetic about politics. I will say this though: libertarianism sounds pretty good right now and I never thought I'd say it. :|

Come to the Dark Side, Bucky. We have cookies! (that's from a t-shirt somewhere)

What's your view of libertarianism? Just how big is the 'L' for you? Are you an open borders Libertarian?

Quote:

Also, hai guize haven't poked my head in here for a while, not even sure if my account is still active but I'll see if I can retrieve my password and perhaps start posting again, albeit with slightly less optimism and flagrantly naive leftist ideas.

I always knew you would come crawling back! (I kid.)

Buck up, MacLaclan -- Obama will be out of office soon, and our long national nightmare will soon be over. I predict money will flood into the market like a dam breaking once Obama is out of office.

• The Robber   2 years 25 weeks ago

Will wrote:

This movie sounds awful familiar....bank robber....romantic relationship that doesn't workout when she discovers what he does....he runs from the authorities...she tells him she loves him still. Does he leave her the stolen money?

[scanning movie database]

Ok, I give. Which movie are you think of?

• Obama Approval Hits New Low   2 years 25 weeks ago

He's mostly continuing the same policies as Dubya.

Just to clarify I did not vote for him, no regrets there, luckily I was moving between states at the time so I was not eligible. I did however buy into the hype for a short while I will admit....and then I stopped caring completely.

• The Robber   2 years 25 weeks ago

• Super Street Fighter IV   2 years 25 weeks ago

FYI the 2012 balance patch for AE is 12-2-11 for arcades and 12-12-11 for consoles. Christmas comes early this year I guess.

• Is President Obama Going to Win Re-Election?   2 years 27 weeks ago

Will wrote:

And then there are guys like felonious monk... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRmZ9zH-mYM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Had to put this in a window... awesome...

Awww.... yeah....

And now listen to the same man, in this in-depth interview. Notice anything?

So is the ebonics-talk all an act? I don't get it.

• Is President Obama Going to Win Re-Election?   2 years 27 weeks ago
  • Is President Obama Going to Win Re-Election?   2 years 28 weeks ago

I agree.

But there will always be people like Al and Jesse who won't let it die.

• Tucker and Dale vs. Evil   2 years 28 weeks ago

Nice!

She's perty.

• Tucker and Dale vs. Evil   2 years 28 weeks ago

Javen, I put that giant picture from the film smack in the middle of your review. Hope you don't mind.

• Is President Obama Going to Win Re-Election?   2 years 28 weeks ago

Javen wrote:

Besides the only true black President was Bill Clinton.

Chris Rock said that Clinton had 'negro tendencies'.

Wait!

Am I allowed to say that!?

Watching the women of 'The View' discuss politics is like watching blind kids fight. All you can do is blink and wait until they get tired and stop. I do so enjoy watching progressives try to explain their ideas. So Barbara Walters doesn't say the word 'n*****' the right way? Finally the opinionated black women in the middle of the table just admits that it has nothing to do with Walters' pronunciation -- Walters is white, and she's not allowed to say the word. Her race is what matters, not the context. The take-away message is 'Race matters.'

Race should not matter, not any more.

I've never understood the umbrage over the n-word. It's just a word, people. I know I'm not black and so I'll never 'get it' -- but I'm tired of people falling all over themselves in an attempt to 'get it' or declare that they'll never 'get it'. I don't 'get it' and don't care if I ever 'get it'. Slavery was ended a long time ago and it is long since time that blacks moved on, moved past race and just got over it. But white people have to get over it too, and simply stop caring about what black people think; stop responding and condoning their racist behavior.

Enough already!

• Is President Obama Going to Win Re-Election?   2 years 28 weeks ago

Zero the Hero

Obama and his teleprompter won't get elected again. Besides the only true black President was Bill Clinton.

• Contagion   2 years 28 weeks ago

The monkey in the poster...

It's staring and stark raving mad at Rene Russo.  I think the monkey wanted her role in the movie.  It wanted to be the love interest for Dustin Hoffman.

• Is President Obama Going to Win Re-Election?   2 years 28 weeks ago

Binary President

Well, as I predicted when The Anointed One took office and I dubbed him 'The Worst President in American History' and 'The Wide Awake Nightmare President' -- Obama's hopes of re-election seem bleak. He started out with 65% approval ratings, even some Republicans wanted to like him, on account of his being... well, the president! It is being reported that only Jimmy Carter had lower approval ratings at this point in his presidency.

Now it seems that independent voters (those fickle, useless creatures) have realized that The Hopey Changitude Bus is a brokedown jalopy with wobbly wheels. They are eagerly awaiting the chance to ricochet back to conservatives, or Republicans, or whomever has 'another idea'.

What's most telling about Obama's disintegration are the insane theories being posited by progressives -- their reasons why this has happened. They couldn't possibly have bad ideas, bad policies -- no, no, it's got to be that Obama is too 'debonaire' for the mood of the country, or the political system is 'broken', or maybe America just wanted Obama to fail (Rush Limbaugh, you fink!), or (wait for it) we're all just a bunch of racists! Newest and greatest of these excuses: Obama wasn't 'ready' to be president -- or 'conservatives were right.'

My theory on why Obama has crashed so hard is twofold -- one, progressive ideas (government is the font of all goodness) are just wrong, and therefore do not work. Obama was given de facto control of the government for about two years into his presidency, and was given carte blanche to spend as much money as he could -- and did. And none of it worked.

Some will argue that maybe progressives don't actually believe in their policies; maybe they just figure the economy will figure itself out, right itself, and in the meantime they'll spend as much money as they can on their own supporters. But their reasoning is irrelevant -- their policies have failed.

Second, Obama was trumped up as a messiah. This was stupid. A business axiom comes to mind: "Underpromise, then Overdeliver." You set your clients and customers expectations to somewhere close to or under expectations, and then you wow them with service, quality or price. Progressives, being morons, made their man Obama out into a 'quantum emergence' and then he blew half a billion dollars on Solyndra and has since engaged in a brutish, stupid class war.

Here's the 'quantum' column quote from Eve Konstantine:

He's our product out of the all-knowing quantum field of intelligence, of which we're all a part; and he's simultaneously speaking into that field. In that collective vibrational field exists a longing for the more of who we are, and the hunger to live it.

See, this is why I find progressives hard to stomach -- conservatives don't talk about their politicians this way. We elect men and women, not superhumans. I cannot imagine conservatives talking this way about any conservative candidate. Obama, The Binary President; he started out as The One and became The Zero.

• Contagion   2 years 28 weeks ago

Javen wrote:

Thanks

I think you'll like it and it felt realistic.

Another somewhat similar film is 'Outbreak' which is good, but suffers from a movie poster that always made me laugh. You see, the killer virus is traced back to a monkey (featured on the poster) which is fine and all, but why did the monkey get on the poster?

Look at it.

Hoffman, Russo, Freeman, ... and introducing Chim-Chim.

It almost looks as though the monkey is of equal weight to the stars of the film, maybe with top billing since the monkey is directly under the title. It's just a bad, bad poster, in terms of style. All the actors (including the monkey) sent in their head shots. The monkey photo is actually given more weight than the actors.

But at least you know what you're getting in the film -- Freeman, Russo, Hoffman and a monkey. The monkey (if I recall the plot correctly, and I invariably do) is actually a minor sort of character, spending most of the film in a dentist-like chair being experimented upon, as the scientists try to isolate a nucleotide or some nonsense from the monkey's blood.

And yet, this movie poster still flings monkey-poo at my eyeballs.

How do these decisions get made? Did someone somewhere say, while looking over the shoulder of the graphic artist's instance of Photoshop: "Ok, we have a title -- um, put in the headshots of Hoffman, Russo and Freeman.... no, no, no -- still too drab. Put the picture of the monkey in there. It's vaguely threatening, mid-screech.... what? No, how do we put a picture of a virus on the poster? People won't even know what it is.... go with the monkey." Stupid movie poster.

Also, nice review Javen!

• Contagion   2 years 28 weeks ago

Thanks

I think you'll like it and it felt realistic.

• Fallout New Vegas   2 years 28 weeks ago

Well, I have played two of the four available DLCs for Fallout: New Vegas and have some comments to make.

Dead Money - 3/5

Very creepy, depressing, moody DLC. You are lured by a transmission to enter a pre-War luxury casino resort called 'The Sierra Madre' (in an obvious homage to the 'Treasure of the Sierre Madre') only to be trapped inside by ... well, I won't tell, but it's weird. It seems that others have been trapped in the casino as well, lured there by the promise of pre-War riches and techology.

You are forced to wear a radio-controlled explosive collar in order to keep you under control, and this requires that you keep yourself out of range of radio transmitters, or shoot them, etc. This can lead to some interesting (and sometimes frustrating) situations.

Dead Money has a certain appeal -- its creators wanted a certain feel (hauntedness) and they achieved it. It can be a bit trying and repetitive at times, though.

Honest Hearts - 2/5

The Wanderer becomes a part of a caravan that takes him into Zion National Park, to the north, and enters into a world of primitive peoples. The area was almost untouched by the Great War, and so it's a refreshing trip into post-Apocalyptic tribalism, of the kind seen in 'Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome'. The moral issues presented are intriguing: how should the player protect the truly innocent tribes from the depredations of the outside, irradiated world, or should they be exploited? This DLC will be heaven for people with a high Survival skill.

This DLC was somewhat fun, but not that exciting really. There were some new weapons, including tomahawks, which were fun, and some of the subplots were interesting. The primitive peoples of New Zion believe in 'The Father in the Caves' -- and a clever player will discover the source of this deity.

Old World Blues - 4/5

By far the most 'trippy' of the DLCs, this one is reminiscent of the spaceship DLC from FO3. The player is whisked away to 'The Big Empty' -- which is the post-War pronunciation of the location's real name: "Big MT" -- as in 'mountain'. It was the world's premier scientific research hub, and now the researchers continue their investigations over the centuries by entombing their brains in vats of fluid. So far this is the funniest DLC.

The premise is a lot more fun and quirky. The brains of the 'Think Tank' have lobotomized you, removing your brain, your spine and your heart. But for some reason your brain was lost -- (One research brain states, "People underestimate just how smart brains can be.") -- or perhaps slithered away into a vent someplace. Your brain is somehow transmitting signals to the Tesla coils in your skull, allowing you to behave normally.

The quest: find your brain, and reunite it with your spine and heart before time runs out. This DLC features some funny moments and creatures, including a very tiny Deathclaw named 'Stripe'. I haven't completed it yet (damn freezing crashes!) but so far it is the best DLC.

Overall

The same problems are in evidence from the previous DLCs for FO3 -- the more DLCs are installed, the buggier gameplay becomes. There are frequent freezes and frame stutter in the DLCs, but the third DLC (Old World Blues) seems to be the worst so far. If you're considering buying the DLCs, start with 'Old World Blues' and then install 'Lonesome Road' -- which is the DLC that provides for the resolution of the game's DLC content, involving another Courier and a climatic showdown of some sort.

The game freezing problem with New Vegas excatly matches the trouble I experienced with FO3's DLCs: the more DLCs I installed, the worse the problem became, until I could not even complete the final DLC. I still cannot imagine how a game developer could screw up this badly. My investigations into the matter have revealed that Bethesda built the game on Obsidian's framework, and that Obsidian is responsible for the bugginess. Whatever the reason, someone (or both of them) is going to pay in the long run.

I foresee a lot of people holding off on buying the next few games to see if they will be 'buggy' or not -- myself included.

Theme provided by Danetsoft under GPL license from Danang Probo Sayekti